Search the Awesomeness

Search the Spot of Awesomeness

Monday, August 28, 2017

Last minute doll shades, plus viewing the eclipse!

Hi guys, and welcome back!
Did you see the eclipse? Hopefully you got at least a partial view? Where I live we got a short partial eclipse, but all the same it was very cool! Comment if you saw it!
As you hopefully know, you should never look straight at the sun. You can burn your retinas and do some serious permanent damage! Even dolls should be careful... but they really wanted to see the eclipse and so did I. Unfortunately, we hadn't picked up any of the special solar eclipse glasses, so we made a box projector thingy. It's the kind where there's a piece of foil with a small hole in it covering a rectangular hole, and on the other side of the box is another rectangular hole that you look through. You aim the foil at the sun, and you can see the eclipse happening in the box!
Fortunately for the dolls, I was able to make some for them so they didn't have to look through a box. I simply drew out a template for the glasses, then traced it and added on the part that sits on your ears. I can't think of what those are called right now...😊 then I just traced those a few more time so each of the dolls would have a pair.
Here is the process of making the glasses, the dolls with their glasses, and my box projector thingy.
A view from the viewing hole of my projector box.
Above is our eclipse-viewing device.😂
Above the girls are seeing what was the darkest part of eclipse for us.
Above, I place a dolls head on a piece of printer paper.
I drew a line at the outside of her head and then made an estimate of how far the line needed to come in to cover only her eyes.

I made the length shorter and sketched the top of the glasses.

I finished the sketch by drawing a middle, and then connecting a rounded line to each of the four lines. (At the bottom of the previous sketch there are only 2 lines, when you draw an upside down u, there are 4 lines.) I then cut it out.

It fits!

It fits her, too! It fits all, just like the real ones.

The gals showing off the viewing box.


Thank you so much for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed!
Please share, subscribe, and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment